Aug 5, 2009

Thank You Diana... and 365 Cards Catch Up

The very first thing I've got to do is send out a HUGE thank you to Diana Crick (the inventor of the Scor-Pal)! I work with her daughter-in-law, Jaylene, at Safe Software, and when Diana found out I was making and selling cards to raise funds for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation she sent a generous gift... a new Scor-Pal + Scor-Mat + an extra Scor-Tool!! How awesome is that!! This thing is the bees knees, let me tell you! LOVE IT. Not only was it a complete breeze to score and fold these two cards, I had a wonderful cutting and working surface to do so on with the Scor-Mat. Thank you Diana, and thank you Jaylene, for delivering this gift! Look, you can see I'm using it already... and my mind is swimming with ideas after visiting the Scor-Pal website!! Can you say "fun"?


Now... I'm a bit behind on my 365 Cards challenges, but not to worry, I found time to play with paper tonight. Yay!!

365 Cards Challenge 157 - Imagine This: Sunflowers

The day's challenge was all about sunflowers. It wasn't required that we have a sunflower on our card - only that the design of a card was inspired by a sunflower.

It's a good thing a sunflower wasn't required, because I only put ¼ of one on there! LOL Without any sunflower stamps or images... and not wanting to go onto the internet to find a picture, I decided to make my own paper sunflower. The petals were time consuming, but the card is pretty simple.

I Cuttlebugged a partial circle with my fave D'vine Swirls folder, and added some cinnamon Stickles for interest (I should start a Stickles Anonymous group - but I'm not ready to quit!). I cut a bunch of 3" petals randomly out of gold card stock and watercoloured them just a tad for fun. I curled them by hand before gluing them to the back of the brown flower centre. I love the dimension that added. When the glue was dry, I popped up the flower onto the card and added a few embellies from my growing stash. I hope you like it!

Card stock - Bazzill Basics; Cuttlebug folder - D'vine Swirls; Metal Star - unknown from the stash; Dream Chipboard - dollar store



365 Cards Challenge 158 - What's Your Sign

The assignment for today was to put a sign on our cards (not astrological) ... be it stamp or paper or the card itself.

I decided to make a mini sign out of wood. Those wooden business cards from Lee Valley Tools came out of my embellie box again.

Simple card, really. The image is actually 3 images (all Penny Black hedgies) making up a family on a birthday parade. I watercoloured the hedgehogs, but also did some colouring with markers for the flowers - to brighten 'em up. I topped it off by razor cutting by Hedgy's hand and tucking the slice of wood in there so it looks like he's actually holding the sign. I like it, but then I really am easily amused. :)

Card Stock - CTMH; Design Paper: SEI (Lovebirds); Images - Penny Black; Watercolour Pencils - CTMH; Markers - Staedtler; Ink: Staz-On & Versafine; Wooden Sign - Lee Valley Tools

Well that was fun! I'm going to put these two cards in the bin...
and hopefully raise some more money to put an end to breast cancer!!


Thanks for poppin' by the blog... leave a comment if you've got the time. Comments always make me smile. :)

15 comments:

Tasia D said...

Ahhhh the birthday hedgies are way too cute - Love, love, love that. Great job on the sign, too - excellent work!!

I love your sunflower card too!! How clever - simple, yes, but it doesn't look it! Great job!!

And that was so sweet of Diana - how thoughtful - have fun with your new toys!!

Patti J said...

Great cards - Love that 1/4 sunflower! Too cute!!! Congrats on the score pal, and Diana, if you are reading, what an awesome and generous gift! I just love these nice bloggers!!!

~amy~ said...

good grief Carolyn...aren't you a lucky duck on the scor-pal!!!!

Your cards are fabulously creative!!

Susan said...

oh, score!!! too!!!

Carolyn, you are just so talented! I love your hedgie signpost and talk about thinking outside the box...that sunflower is the bomb!!!

You entered this creative thingie running and haven't missed a beat!

Sara Smeby said...

Love YOUR sunflower, Carolyn! Thanks for your kind comment! :) Say, I'm thinking about the Scor-Pal. It's a "YES!", I presume?! Nice place you have here... ;) Sara

TesaB said...

What a beautiful gift! And what a great cause! LOVE your cards! Your sunflower is stunning!

Jenny S. (UK) said...

Super, super cards, love the hedgies, great sign and the sunflower is awesome.

Anonymous said...

All absolutely lovely

Chrissie said...

Absolutely great cards. Very well caught up!
Chrissie

STAMPING SAM said...

What a creative way to make a sunflower! I'm in the same boat as you, no sunflower stamps, I ended up with a photo of one very small volunteer sunflower. Actually it's from the seeds my husband feeds the birds - I guess I could have said my card is for the birds! LOL!
I love my scorpal, best purchase I have ever made.

Beth aka BR-T said...

The sun flower card...picking my jaw off the floor awesomE! BR-T

Christina said...

Your cards are gorgeous! Great catch up!!!

Celeste said...

I love your homemade sunflower! The hedgehogs are so cute. I have several and just love them! Both of your cards are gorgeous as usual! How lucky to snag yourself a Scor-pal! I love mine and can't figure out how I lived without it for so long.

Ann said...

Woohoo on the Scor-Pal! And I love, love, love your sunflower!!!!

Ella said...

I love the sunflower! The time you spent was so worth it! Lucky you with the Scor-Pal!